The “X-Plane 10 HD Scenery Mesh v2″ scenery is completely free to download and free to use. I call it Donationware because if you like the scenery, you are invited to donate for it:
There is now also a DVD delivery option via fspilotshop.com if you have not enough bandwidth to download the files. The price in the shop is only there to cover the work / DVD media / deilvery (and NONE of that money comes to me!), so it still remains freeware / donationware!:
I ask you to NOT REDISTRIBUTE / MODIFY / OR CHANGE (for 3rd party purposes) it without asking for permission (usually I allow almost everything, but I like to know about it!)
X-Plane 10 HD Scenery Mesh v2 is an update to the older v1 HD Mesh (and a replacement of the default Global Scenery) and brings a lot of improvements in many areas:
- It is a much higher resolution base mesh (more, smaller triangles) compared to the default Global Scenery which ships with X-Plane 10 (one could say: approximately 2-3-times more dense)
- The higher resolution mesh allows for a much more detailed representation of the elevation profile of the landscape
- The higher resolution mesh allows a much more detailed/exact representation of the underlying landclass data (because of the smaller triangles, which can follow landclass changes in the raw data more closely)
- It is based on a completely new Openstreetmap (OSM) data (approximately end of September 2013), which brings (compared to default Global Scenery) a lot of improvements in:
- water features (lakes, rivers, coastline) – many previously missing water features are now finally there
- power lines
- urban park areas
- It includes line rivers from OSM (not just polygons as before) tagged waterway=river which improves the landscape in most regions quite a bit
- Uses improved urban zoning (thanks to improved algorithms in the scenery generator)
- Many smaller and larger landclass data improvements
- completely replaced the landclass data for Canada (big improvements)
- improved forest density representation in Europe (changed the sparse / dense classification)
- some new classes added (in many regions), like: moraines, riverbeds, mining/dump sites
- added differentiation between ice (perennial) and snow (more temporal) to have an even more detailed representation of mountains. There is a nice description of this by Albert (the texture master) on x-plane.org: follow this link
- added differentiation between irrigated / non-irrigated crops (in some regions – like the USA etc.)
- Completely replaced the elevation data with viewfinderpanoramas.org (if yew have a few cents, donate to that guy!). This doesn’t changes much in areas which were already great, but fixes some which were really hosed.
- Latest airport data (2013.10) boundaries used, to have up to date airport areas.
Warnings / Requirements
- The scenery requires at least X-Plane 10.25 (beginning with 10.25 beta 1) which provides quite a few new terrain types/textures which this scenery relies on! Without it, your X-Plane will very likely crash on scenery load!
- PLEASE ONLY DOWNLOAD A SMALLER ZIP FILE AT THE BEGINNING! THEN TEST IF IT WORKS FOR YOU AND ONLY THEN CONTINUE DOWNLOADING OTHER TILES! DO NOT UNNECESSARILY OVERLOAD FLIGHTSIM.COM (the hosting site of this release)!
- You might need very long time to download all tile. Single file sizes go up over 2 GBytes! In the map you can see the size of each tile.
- Your X-Plane 10 FPS might become very low (if you already have FPS problems, this will not improve your situation!)
- 32bit X-Plane will often crash! Scenery shifts (when new, adjacent tiles need to be loaded) exhaust the usual 32bit memory address space most of the time.
- If you have less than 4 GBytes of RAM, don’t even try! With 64bit, I recommend at least 8 GBytes for a smooth (hopefully crash free) experience!
- I highly recommend to read the installation instructions carefully, as most of the problems result from an incorrect installation.
- If it still does not work on your machine, there is not much I can do for you (mostly because of the above limitations)!
You can click on the desired tile in the following map, which will open a little bubble, including the file name / file size and the direct link to flightsim.com, where the files are hosted! flightsim.com also offers you a first class membership (which at $30 for a year is less than many other, commercial add-ons might cost you), which removes all bandwidth limits (other than the ultimate, physical limit posed by their server / ISP environment which is shared among all users). So, its your – free – choice, if you rather pay with your time or your money …
If for some reason the above map does not work, the following link will bring you directly to the list view at flightsim.com, including all the files belonging to the HD Mesh Scenery v2: LINK TO FILES
Via file mirror from ISDG
There is now also a file mirror set up by ISDG:
If you want to try BitTorrent instead, you might start with these links (they are NOT done by me, but by the community, so DO NOT ask for support with the torrents):
Via DVD delivery
There is now (since 18.01.2014) also a DVD delivery option via fspilotshop.com if you have not enough bandwidth to download the files. The price in the shop is only there to cover the work / DVD media / deilvery (and NONE of that money comes to me!), so it still remains freeware / donationware!:
- First of all, you can (and should!) start with one download (and then successively get other tiles as you need them)!
- Create a Subfolder called zzz_hd_global_scenery2 in your Custom Scenery folder (using the zzz_ prefix should highlight, that this package should load at the “bottom” of your scenery list!)
- Create a Subfolder called “Earth nav data” in your zzz_hd_global_scenery folder!
- After you have uncompressed the ZIP file(s), put the resulting scenery folders (they should have names like +50-130,+30-120,+40+010 etc.) in the previously created (sub)folder “zzz_hd_global_scenery/Earth nav data”!
- Now you can continue with the scenery_packs.ini section if this is your first HD Scenery Mesh v2 package! Otherwise you can now start flying.
If you are still not sure, how your folder structure should look, it should resemble something like this (this is an example with only 4 packages):
(You only need to do this once, when you install your first HD Scenery Mesh v2 package … All other packages are going in the same Custom Scenery folder, so they don’t need extra attention)
Beginning with X-Plane 10.10 there is a new “layer control”, which sets the order of the custom scenery layers explicitly. This happens with the file Custom Scenery/scenery_packs.ini and is documented here: http://developer.x-plane.com/2012/07/scenery_packs-ini-what-was-i-thinking/
Here are the most important points:
- If you start X-Plane 10 the first time OR deleted(!) the scenery_packs.ini, it will create a new scenery_packs.ini and populate it exactly in the alphabetic order of your current folder names in “Custom Scenery” (in this case, the zzz_ prefix helps).
- If you already have a scenery_packs.ini (you have already run X-Plane 10 at least once), any new folder in “Custom Scenery” will be put automatically on the TOP (beginning) of scenery_packs.ini (which puts your new scenery folder at the highest level)!
- You can (and should) always manually sort / organize the scenery_packs.ini, as X-Plane only rewrites it when you delete it
- For HD Mesh to work well with other Scenery Packages, its best to put it at the bottom(!) of scenery_packs.ini! You can either copy the entry manually to the bottom, or if you don’t care, you just remove scenery_packs.ini and when its recreated the next time, the HD Mesh folder lands at the bottom (as it will be sorted in that position alphabetically)
If you need to contact me, you either find me in most of the well known X-Plane related forums (my pseudonym is: alpilotx) or use the e-mail address on the contact page!
Have a lot of fun!
X-Plane 10 Tree Lines and Farms
You might consider adding another – free – little add-on from this site, which helps to improve the overall feeling (especially in large, agriculture / pastures dominated regions!):
Bonus experimental (dense) forests
Experimental, dense XP10 forest replacement! This is the same package as from the HD Mesh V1 download (so, if you have downloaded it from there, you do not need to do it again)!
If you want to try out a bit more dense forests in X-Plane 10 (maybe together with the above HD Scenery), then you might be interested this:
- Download this ZIP file: http://www.alpilotx.net/data/xp10-dense-forest-replacement.zip
- Unzip it (you should get 261 FOR files)
- Put the 261 FOR files in the X-Plane 10 folder: /Resources/default scenery/1000 forests/ (if its warning you about overwriting existing files, then you are doing the right thing – otherwise, you have choosen the wrong place)
- Before overwriting, you might consider backing up the folder! But any X-Plane update would restore it to its original anyways (if you allow it to do so)
A few things to consider with this experimental(!), dense forest replacement:
- It will probably make your FPS worse! (depending on your 3D card, this effect might be more or less strong)
- At each update, X-Plane will ask you, if it shall overwrite the contents in the /1000 forests/ folder (restore it to the original, X-Plane “default)! You can always deny, or accept it (this way, you can get bet the default, even if you didn’t do a backup). And from time to time, you SHOULD go to the X-Plane default, as it will be improved too (over time), so you might miss out on improvements there!
- PLEASE DON’T REDISTRIBUTE this forest replacement pack! Its experimental, and should remain as such. Over time, I think we will tune X-Plane 10 default forests to a point, that you won’t even consider this pack anymore.
Have fun with it!