HD Mesh Scenery v3 for X-Plane 10 released
After more than a year, the free (donationware) HD Mesh Scenery v3 replaces the previous v2 scenery package!
Covered Regions (see coverage on the download map below):
- Europe (Canaries included)
- North America (USA, Alaska, Canada)
- NEW: Australia
The HD Mesh Scenery v3 is a complete replacement for the default Global Scenery in X-Plane 10 for all covered regions (it includes mesh, landclass, forests, road/railroad networks, all water features and autogen data)!
The v3 is an update of the previous v2 version (thus it includes all the improvements which were present there) and has notable improvements in the following areas:
- Australia as a new region has been added (with completely replaced, higher resolution landclass data)!
- Europe has received a complete overhaul – higher resolution, higher quality – of its forest data (part of the landclass information)
- Canada has received a massive improvement of its water features (replaced the partially – regionally – incomplete OSM water data with government data –> CanVec)
- Improved forest representation (better, more detailed reproduction of the raw forest landclass information) resulting in much more natural look of forests/forest variations in all regions
- Refreshed Oepnstreetmap (OSM) for all regions (except the before mentioned Canadian water data) to reference date 10th October 2014. This alone can improve many parts in the scenery.
- Used latest (September 2014) apt data for airport mesh smoothing / deforesting.
- Further increased the mesh resolution (by about 20-30%)
- Many other smaller / larger fixes listed
Just like before, this scenery needs at least X-Plane 10.25 (or any later version) to work properly!
With all the improvements and new a region, the overall file volume grew to a new record setting 99 GBytes (scattered over 98 distinct ZIP files, each covering a 10×10 degree area). Luckily, this year a few more parties (whom I would like to thank!) joined in to help in the distribution process (with servers and bandwidth). They are:
- flightsim.com (with direct download AND very important: BitTorrent seeding)
- x-plane.org (will have files online in a few days)
All informations, possible updates, installation instructions, and download links (with a detailed dynamic map) can be found here:
A large selection of screenshots can be found here:
- Normal: https://picasaweb.google.com/101666907909842492197/HDMeshSceneryV3FINAL?authuser=0&feat=directlink
- Comparison (default, v2, v3) : https://picasaweb.google.com/101666907909842492197/HDMeshSceneryV3FINALComparisonShots?authuser=0&feat=directlink
I recommend all users (especially those who are new to the HD Mesh Scenery v3):
- first start with one or two small regions. Download them, install them, test if it works and then – slowly, step-by-step – get more regions!
- Use BitTorrent (via flightsim.com) if possible, to avoid traffic congestion at the download sites!
- PLEASE take the time to read the short but important instructions! They help you (and then me) to avoid the most common mistakes!
Have a lot of fun!
PS: I would like to ask all users, who are fluent in other languages than English or German (and have time), to please spread this news in other forums / new sites
Pingback: Scenery Enhancement From AlpilotX and XFlyer | X-Plane Developer
Pingback: HD Mesh versie 3 beschikbaar voor X-Plane - simFlight.NL
Pingback: Vergleich P3D v2.5 und X-Plane 10.40: Terrain Darstellung « simFlight.de